Gai Yang Khao Suan Kwang is the most favourite grilled chicken inThailand. The original dish comes from Khao Suan Kwang area, on the way between Udon Thani and Khon Kaen. Thai people love this grilled chicken dish so much and can be found anywhere from fancy Thai restaurants to ramshackle street stalls. This recipe is adapted from:
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 coriander roots
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- A handful of white sesame seeds
- 1 sliced old ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup drinking water
1. Pound together garlic, coriander root, black pepper, sugar, salt
and ginger with a mortar and pestle until fine.
2. Add in dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, lime juice and
drinking water. Combine well. Then pour in sesame seeds.
3. Pour the dressing in the large resealable bag and turn
chicken to coat thoroughly. Seal and marinate in the
refrigerator for overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
5. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting
pan. Roast for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat
to 160 degrees C and continue roasting for 15 minutes. Let
stand for 10 minutes before serving.