Khanom Bua Loi Sai Kai is a dumplings made from glutinous rice flour with chicken filling inside. This dumplings are adapted from Sakoo Sai Kai, Thailand popular dumplings. The different between both is the skin, Sakoo Sai Kai is made from tapioca pearls and the making process is difficult. So this Bua Loi Sai Kai is the complement of it. This recipe is adapted from:
- 1/2 cup skinless, boneless, chopped chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet radish, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander root
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat wok over medium heat. Pour in oil, then stir in garlic, coriander root and black pepper. Stir fry until it is light golden. Add chicken, then stir fry until the pink color disappears. Add sweet radish. Mix well, then stir in sugar and light soy sauce. Mix well. add in onion, then stir fry over moderate heat about 3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add roasted peanuts and stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium bowl. Pour in flour, then gradually stir in water and knead dough until smooth.
2. Divide dough into 15 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls.
Flatten with the palm of your hand until 2 inches circle. Place
3/4 teaspoon chicken mixture in the center then gently fold
the dough over. Gently squeeze the dough and form back
into a ball, rolling with hands and continue with the
remainder of the dough.
3. Place the balls in the boiling water. Use cooking chopsticks
or a turner to move the ball occasionally so that they don’t
stick to bottom. Cook on a medium high heat until the balls
rise and floating on the top. Remove the balls from boiling
water and place it in clean water for 30 seconds, then coat
with oil and crispy fried garlic.
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic, fried in oil until crispy
- Fresh coriander sprigs
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Fresh red chili, optional