Chiffon Cake is a very light cake made with vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and flavorings. In contrast to the traditional cakes, chiffon cake achieve a fluffy texture by beating egg whites until stiff, and folding them into the cake batter before baking. Today, I will make chiffon cake with marble effect on it using my favorite chiffon cake recipe. This delicious chiffon cake is made with flour, eggs, sugar, salt, honey, vegetable oil, water and cocoa powder. The original recipe is from:
Ingredients ( for 23cm chiffon cake pan)
- 95 grams egg yolks (approximately 5-6 eggs)
- 25 grams caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 80 grams vegetable oil
- 80 grams water
- 95 grams cake flour
- 10 grams cocoa powder
- 10 grams cake flour
- 240 grams egg whites (approximately 7-8 eggs)
- 110 grams caster sugar
- 15 grams corn flour
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
2. In a large mixing bowl. Mix together egg yolks, 25 grams
sugar, salt and honey with a balloon whisk. Add in vegetable oil
and water. Mix well. Gradually mix in 95 grams cake flour.
3. Divide the egg yolks mixture into two equal portions in
separate mixing bowl. Mix in 10 grams cake flour into one of
the egg yolks mixture. Combine well. For another bowl, mix in
10 grams cocoa powder. Mix well. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually
add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time and beat until soft
peak form. Finally, add in corn flour and continue beat until
stiff and shiny peaks form.
6. Gently fold in the egg whites mixture into the cocoa egg yolks
mixture and plain mixture accordingly until well combined.
(Note: make sure the egg whites are well combined with the
egg yolks mixture without breaking the egg whites. Little egg
whites left will cause a big hole in the cake but over mixing will
make it hardly rise during baking).
7. TO ASSEMBLE MARBLE EFFECT. Spoon in the plain batter to 3
or 4 different corner of the 23cm chiffon cake pan, then
continue to cover the plain batter with cocoa batter, layer
by layer until finish. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45
minutes or until inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
Remove cake from the oven and invert the pan immediately
until cake has cooled.