Deep Fried Fish with Green Mango Salad in Thai called "Yam Pla Thord". Literally, the words " Yam Pla Thord" are derived from three Thai words: "Yam", "Pla" and "Thord". "Yum" refers to a kind of Lao and Thai spicy and sour salad. "Pla" mean fishs and "Thord" refers to deep fried.
- 400 to 500 grams prepared fish
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 small chillies, sliced
- 1/4 cup shallot, sliced thin
- 1 green (unripe) mango, peeled and shredded
1. Cut three or four slashes in each side of fish. Set aside.
2. In a wok or large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. After the oil is hot enough, reduce heat to medium-low. Fry the fish until golden brown in one side (about 10 minutes). Flip the fish and continue fry until golden brown on the other side (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. For dressing. Mix together lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolve. Add in chilies and shallot. Stir just combine. Taste-test the dressing. It should be tangy - a balance of salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. Adjust it to your taste by adding more fish sauce if not salty enough, more lime juice if too salty or sweet, more sugar if too sour, or more chilies if not spicy enough for your taste.